Continuing Education Workshops
Harrison has a well-established reputation as a dynamic speaker, and a participant-centered learning style that never fails to engage and motivate audiences. He incorporates personal anecdotes, and has the natural ability to make complicated subjects easily understandable and relevant to the interests of each individual audience.
When Good CPAs Go BadA discussion and workbook-style class, Mr. Harrison developed this ethics case-study course for the Colorado Society of Certified Public Accountants (COCPA). How do each of us define ethics? How is that different from morals? What are we likely to do when we find ourselves in a tricky ethical position? Why are CPAs required to study ethics? How can this make us better at what we do? These are some of the questions that this class will explore through cases and discussion. This seminar will explore:
- The foundation of our Code of Professional Conduct
- Case studies in ethics
- Case studies in fraud
- What CPAs need to focus upon when confronted with ethical dilemmas
- What are the circumstances to blow the whistle
Accounting for Non-AccountantsMountain States Employers Council offers this two-day, crash course in accounting. Through group discussion, problem-solving exercises, real business examples, and hands-on practice, participants gain immediately applicable skills to enhance their ability to not only talk accounting, but also to be a significant contributor to financial conversations in their organization. Participants learn what data are important to collect and monitor, how to analyze and report the data to justify arguments, and how to strengthen their reputation as someone who can appreciate and address the larger financial picture.
- The other GAAP: Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Balance Sheet, Income Statement and Statement of Cash flows: an introduction
- Capital Investments and the time value of money
- Basic use and analysis of financial statements: making sense of all these documents
- Budgeting and cash flow projections: what a budget is and why it’s so important
- Audits and auditors: purpose of an audit and who does them
- Fraud and ethics: how to recognize and prevent fraud and sustain ethical practices